Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Quality Time

I know I wrote yesterday, but I am really trying to be consistent with my "writing every Tuesday" thing.

My daughter is pretty sure that most days I don't like her. Which is totally not true but she is 13 and 3/4 so we tend to butt heads and have A LOT of drama on a fairly regular basis.

I feel like I am doing a pretty good job of not duck taping her mouth shut and putting her in her room for the next 4 years, but she feels like I don't like her. (This according to her Daddy, who is the apple of her eye.) He has been on me to make more of an effort to spend more quality time together with her. We spend quantity but it usually involves a lot of yelling, stomping, and I hate you's thrown about.

So this evening I was able to just sit and enjoy my daughter. Aunt Meggy is having a baby girl, so we were on Pinterest scoping out lots of fun ideas. She is such a fun, bright young woman. With a killer sense of humor. She comes up with the darndest things. Like telling me that when she has kids, there will be no more mother's curses. LOLOL

She has a bunch of cute phrases like "Calm your Peaches", "Its so Beast" (this is reserved for really cool things) and "That was so NINJA" (for when something takes her by surprise). It makes me giggle. I am not surprised that she makes friends where ever she goes.

I am finding that being girly and spending time with her doesn't come just naturally. I like to do it but I have to work at it. I am sure it is because I never got to do this stuff when I was that age. I was (still am) my mom's caretaker and I am having a serious learning curve. I love her so much, but figuring out how to express that is a challenge that I am working on.

She is teaching me everyday how to be a happier, brighter person. I just hope I am able to teach her how beautiful, smart and seriously wonderful she is too.


2 comments:

Meggan said...

I really enjoyed this little entry. I wasn't much of a girly girl growing up either, so I'm going to have to 'work' at all this stuff too. :)

Katrina said...

Stacie, you have a beautiful daughter and that is what daughters do they help us grow , but don't sell your self short , you are a "girly girl" in your own way. :) how ever taking time to enjoy Hannah in her own light is a work in progress