Thursday, June 21, 2012

Ever the Optimist

 Peony's are one of my favorite flowers (lilacs are ever the top). I planted a beautiful variety in a large pot when I was in Boise, the summer before we moved here. It got somewhat big but never bloomed. So upon moving north I excitedly planted my peony in the ground with the hopes that in the spring I would get a bloom. With bated breath I watched the little green shots come up and had all my expectations dashed when yet again I just got a green plant with no blooms. Ever the optimist, I again this year anticipated that this would be the year when I would get some blooms. 
NOPE! 
Dang plant is starting to make me mad! I am to the point were I don't know what the flower looks like from the picture, I just remember that it is pretty and pink. So I decided that it was time to move my plant. But I didn't have any more beds. So I made a new one. Right next to my front porch. It is on the side where Marc is standing.
 
 I moved my peony over. It now gets three to four more hours of sun every day and I am cautiously optimistic that I will get blooms next year. I am filling the rest of the bed with more peony bunches from my mom's house. She has some red one that she doesn't want and some white ones that smell divine, that I am getting some starts from too.
 
My other project yesterday was to get a bed prepared for some raspberries and blackberries. I had started a bed out back last year but my dog loves to eat the stocks, so now I don't have any raspberries. I came up with the brilliant idea to move my bed out front, were it gets more sun and has no dogs eating it.
Mom has a bunch of volunteers of both the blackberries and raspberries (both of which are thornless) that I am going to dig out tonight. I picked this spot next to the neighbors house because I can't ever mow close enough and it drives me batty to have long grass. Miss Bee was not doing much but looking pretty but she did that very well. ;)
 Here is the bed all framed out. After I get the starts in and staked, I am going to put the pine bark around them and I think it will finish every thing off really nicely.
 Plus it will give us a bit of a barrier between the houses. Mostly though I will be some blackberries and raspberries next year. (Notice a theme? Flowers next year, berries next year?) I am ever the optimist.
 I think the most impressive thing about both of these beds is that my allergic to everything out doors, husband, came out and helped me. It was so nice to have his help but more it was really wonderful to have his company. That man must really love me because he had to take four allergy pills and two showers to be with me. He is such a good man.


4 comments:

Fossil Photo / Curtis and Shauna said...

Thanks for the pinterest idea! I so want some berry plants some day. They are my favorite!!!

Debbie Murdock said...

Matt decided he wanted to plant a rhododendron...in WA they thrive in UT, not so much. I told him it would never bloom and even bet money on it that it wouldn't. Needless to say after 3 years the little plant bloomed and I lost my 5 bucks. There's always hope!

Katrina said...

It is going to be a very nice thing next year when all this work brings forth fruit. :)

Nana S. said...

I love your optimism, and your wonderful ability to help grow things. Our peonies are looking lovely this year and the liliac bush was just loaded with blossoms.