Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Devil Machine i.e. The Elliptical

Okay. I have been working out for awhile now. I have been diligent. I have worked hard. And I can run a mile and half. It was not easy, but I did it. And I really enjoy running.

But ... 

I have bad knees. Not horrible and certainly a lot better than they were 40 lbs ago but I have my mom's knees and they clink and creek when I walk up stairs. I am 227 post Halloween candy fest and Thanksgiving. Not too bad,

But ...

It means that I really shouldn't be running. I am supposed to be easier on my knees so that I can walk without heavy medication when I am 50. Or so says my personal trainer. This brings me to my bane. 

THE ELLIPTICAL.

I don't know what is so different about this machine vs. the treadmill that I have been working on these last months. I just know that I don't feel very accomplished when I get off the dumb thing regardless of how much I sweat. And I do sweat. 

But ... 

I just don't feel like I am getting anywhere. Which is totally silly because I am a treadmill runner and don't actually run anywhere. In fact I don't actually like running outside. I know that I need to save my knees and that I am not doing anything different on the elliptical machine. I am still not really getting anywhere. I have gotten good enough that I don't fall off or look like too much of an idiot. I listen to my headphones and rock out to my music. Just like on the treadmill.

But ...

I just don't feel as accomplished using it as I do when I am running. So there you go. Maybe I will feel more accomplished when I loose another 40 pounds using the devil machine as I have using the treadmill.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Totally understand stace, I try to run to but man its hard, so when I walk I don't feel like I am getting a very good workout. Sometimes when i walk I go a lot longer. I try to up the incline when i am walking which makes it really hard. Don't have much advice but you want to keep your knees as long as you can. Good luck proud of you accomplishments your looking good!!!!

Krista said...

ROFL!!! I like running, too! (...and I should get back to it...) It does feel much more productive, probably *because* it's high-impact. Good for you, doing the elliptical, though! I've heard those are TOUGH!!! Way to go! :)