Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Vacation is not complete until....

No vacation to Katrina's house is ever complete without some hard core gardening.

Serious hard core gardening. 

I didn't get a "before" picture on this bed, but you will have to trust me when I say that the grass was taller than the iris's. LOL We are going to have to move the hosta eventually because the day-lilies are doing FABULOUS and are encroaching.
Our next bed was the front lamp pole with the hollyhocks. Some of the pricker weeds were taller than the actual flowers that are in the bed.
Ta-Da!! So, so pretty. We cut down the stems of the daffodils and tulips that had already bloomed. It sure can be gratifying to pull weeds.
We tackled this bad boy with some vigor. Utah's rose bushes had some serious issues this year over the winter. Something killed tons of the bushes. Katrina's were partially spared. We had to hack the crap out of them but they mostly survived and will look really nice next year for the trimming we gave them.
 
Personally, I think this is one of the most dramatic transformations. We left the good stock on the rose bushes, spread out the hyacinth bulbs and de-weed everything.
The view from the porch.
Now this is our BIG project, that is left in the front yard. You can see that at least 2 of the five big rose bushes are gone. They will need to be hacked, dug up, and hauled off. We are waiting for some shade before we take this on.
My other project last night and this afternoon was a case for my lap top. This is the front. I am thrilled with how it came out.
See? It actually fits.
This is the back. I attached a small pouch for my power cord. It's not to bulky and if I ever need to take it off it wouldn't be to hard.
You can see the top of the pouch better from this angle.
I made it out of scraps from the combined Katrina/Meggan/Jenny sewing room. I think I am going to add a sturdy strap to make it easier to tot along when I go somewhere.
I feel very accomplished today. It is wonderful to have good company and lots of projects.

5 comments:

Katrina said...

I am tired how about you! But thank you so much for all the help and it looks so nice and we worked hard didn't we! I love your bag too and it only took you an evening and an afternoon... you did a great job. It is fun having you all here, we do miss Marc and hope he can come some time soon. Thanks again.. your a big help and so were the kids. They earned their reward today for sure!

Nana S. said...

Nice job, Stacie, on the flower gardens and the bag. I like the design of the bag very much. Wish you lived close enough to pretty up our bushes all around. Grampa isn't able to any more and I never was very good at doing any of it. We look pretty much like Katrina's rose bush. Very sad and grown over ;-(. It was so good to see each of you on Skype last evening.

Jenn said...

Good job on the gardening and the laptop case! They both looks great!

Debbie Murdock said...

Wowsers! What a stark difference on the front of the weeding. And YES pulling weeds is gratifying. Love the laptop case.

Michelle said...

WOW! nice paint job and beautiful weeding. You are so creative making that nice bag for you laptop. You should make some more and sale them I bet you would do great at that. The previous post was that in springville. Me Ashley and madison were in that in the mini cheer float but it looks like we were on the opposite side that you were sitting on. Seriously stacie you should sale these bags start your business You are soo good at this!