Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Creative Parenting

As stated in my previous post, this last weekend we went to Montana. We had a great time but there were a few times when I could have shot my kids. Like when Nik thought it would be good to play ring-around-the-rosy on the stones that contained the blazing hot fire that melted Alex's shoe. So smart.

But I really wanted to pitch them in the pond when I heard any complaining about the food. We had been graciously invited to be driven up, housed and feed for nothing. So to have them complain about the food put my teeth on edge. Our first night's dinner was spaghetti. This is not Sam and Hannah's more favorite dish. So what comes out of their mouths? A continual complaint. 

"I don't like spaghetti." "That is so gross." "Can I eat cereal instead?" and on and on and on....  I was so frustrated and embarrassed that they would be so ungrateful.
 
So being the resourceful mom that I am, or at least try to be, I have come up with a way to hopefully help them understand that we DO NOT COMPLAIN about what has been given to you.

This is my plan. We will eat spaghetti every night until there is no complaining about what is being served. Every night they complain about dinner, the following night's dinner will again be spaghetti. It makes menu planning decidedly easier. I expect that we will have to eat spaghetti for a least a week before they are actually able to come to the table with no complaints about the food.

What I am really trying to get across is gratitude for the things that we are given. And to never complain about the food that has been put in front of them. The last thing a cook wants to hear is that you don't want what said cook has just spent an hour or more preparing. I figure this is a good way to help them learn some gratitude. We just finished with our second night of spaghetti.

Can you guess what is on the menu for tomorrow?

5 comments:

AJ said...

Good luck! I've always hated hearing complaints. Be tough. You can do it.

Teri said...

I love it... you go girl!!

Krista said...

Stacie, you ROCK. :) That's the kind of thing I'd love to do, but don't know whether I have the guts to do, LOL... but it's also a great way to practice filtering what comes out of our mouths, LOL!!! :) That's AWESOME! :) Enjoy the spaghetti! :)

Nana S. said...

:-( good luck !!!!

Heavenly said...

Bwa ha ha ha!

You are so evil...I like it. ;)