Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Yes, Virgina. There is a Difference between Girls and Boys.

From the moment I walked in the door this evening the kids have been fighting. Alex was mad at Hannah because she got peanut butter toast for snack and then he couldn't because I was making dinner. Then he was mad at me because I said Hannah could have peanut butter toast with dinner as well (we had breakfast for dinner, but not cereal) and that wasn't fair because she'd had that for snack. Nik was mad at Al because Al took some of his cards. Sam was mad at Nik because he wouldn't share his cards. You can see the trend.

Not only where they fighting like alley cats and dogs on crack, they were very diligently trying to put either a hole in the walls or a hole in each other. So to run of some of this extra energy I took them to the Kroc Center to run. They have an indoor tack there that we like to use. 

 But the complaining didn't seem to stop. Alex wanted to bring his book (no on that), Hannah wanted to race. Fine but then the boys kept beating her. Alex couldn't keep up and then kept trying to run with his hands in his pockets. He is not the most coordinated and I could see a hospital trip in my near future. So He was mad that I made him run with his hands out. 

Sam didn't complain to much, which was nice, but when it was time to go I practically had to drag him out the door. Alex yelled at one of the adult workers and they just generally complained about everything. Then Hannah's comment out the door to the car, that this whole thing was stupid and boring because she was mad that she couldn't win any of the races. By this point I HAD HAD IT!!!

It was time for a serious lecture on the difference between boys and girls.
Yep that's right folks boys and girls are different.
 

Can you believe that?! It's shocking, I know.

Who would have thought that 4'9" Hannah might not win a race against her 5'2" brother, who just happens to have legs that are about 5 inches longer than hers? Seriously! That girls tend to have to work in a different way from boys to achieve the same results and that, HEAVEN FORBID, girls have breasts and hips and more body fat then boys because at some point in their life they are supposed to have babies! 

Not only that but boys that like to play by themselves in their rooms, reading books and building lego fortresses i.e. Alex, won't have the same stamina as the older and younger brothers who love to be outside running. An if you quit because you aren't winning, then you will never win.

Okay, I am sure you can tell that I was just a bit perturbed. I feel better now. I just want was is best for my children and they have to learn that not everything is easy and that it is the hard things that are worth having. I did run full out for one full lap tonight. First time I have made it all the way around, running as fast as I can. See you can do hard things, you just have to work at it.
  

6 comments:

housewife said...

good job running! Rugby kicked my butt as always. My groin is killing me....feels like i have had each leg pulled in a tug of war! But it's hard and I did it!

Undaunted ~ My Life One Day at a Time said...

Good Job Babe. I know it is hard, ecspecially when I don't go with you. I am proud of you, you are such a good mom and I love you.

Love

Marc-e

Krista said...

Actually, although it was a fluster-y situation, it sounds like the PERFECT time to explain that people are ALL different, and we're not all going to be the best at everything all the time. :) Way to go teaching, Stacie!!! :)

Krista said...

Oh, and on the full-out run, I'm so glad you had the chance to do that; it's quite the stress reliever, isn't it? I look forward to doing it again someday, LOL...

Jenn said...

ha :) sounds like a great convo for your kids...how did they respond? And good job on the run!

Katrina said...

Lol did it help ???