Monday, March 14, 2011

The Doctor Myth

When I first started having kids, 13 years ago now, I would have to say that I was pretty naive when it came to my belief in "the doctor". You know this idea that is perpetuated that the doctor knows everything. That he has the absolute best interest of each patient at heart. That he/she is up to date on the latest medical research and that if you go to the doctor they will tell you what is wrong and fix it.

I have come to see that it is not always the case. There are some doctors that are tired. That they don't know half of what they should or think they know. And that sometimes, they really just have no idea what the problem is.

Last night I had to make a run to the emergency room. My throat was really sore and swollen and I was having a hard time breathing. This was intern freaking my hubby out some, so we went to see if there was something that could help. I must say that having a hard time breathing certianaly gets you a bed fast, but doesn't speed much else up.

I was given a IV and some fluid, because I was pretty dehydrated from not being able to swallow well for the last several days and then a major anti-inflammatory to bring the swelling down in my throat. Took a while to work but it finally did. Unfortunately the doctor couldn't tell my why or what was causing the issue. Sent me home with antibiotics and a steroid for the swelling and said he thought it was viral.

I was so frustrated. It is horrible to be in tons of pain, struggling with breath, only to have them say they don't know what it is or what is causing it. I feel like such a goose. I mean it gets you to thinking "Well I guess I didn't know what I was thinking. I must not been having that much of issue." Then there is the counter argument of "No, that's not true. You couldn't breath, so something must be going on." But more and more I find that the doctors just don't know what.

No one could ever tell me what made me and Nik so sick when he was born. I was in the hospital for 6 days and Nik was in the NICU for 10. No one could tell me what caused the pre-eclampsia. No can tell me why Sam has had to have three sinus surgeries. No knows why I was sick enough that my throat was swelling up. I get the feeling that they just don't want you to know that they don't know squat. At $500.00 a pop, you would think that they would know something.

4 comments:

Debbie Murdock said...

So scary I hope you start feeling better soon! I agree with the doctor thing I have anxiety going to the doctor because I think they think what I'm feeling is in my head. That's why I use naturopathic methods that's authorized under someone. A doctor told me that I need to get on this horrible medicine for thyroid that robbed me of the use of my contacts and made me extremely sick for months. She told me if I didn't start taking it again that I would have to have emergency surgery to remove my thyroid because there was NO other way. I want to go back and throw it in her face and tell her that I found another way that not evasive because my thyroid has been under control for 2 years now. Makes me so frustrated that doctors think they know everything. I wish they would just team up with the natural methods because we as a society need both!!!

Nana S. said...

The Lord only knows ....... everything !!!!! You are correct, Doctors do not know everything. Medicine is not an exact science, but I like what they do know and much of that is in the category of the "unknown cause. Really sorry you have been so sick, it seems to be happening here also. Hope you are feeling much, much better today.

Krista said...

Chalk my vote up for a naturopathic approach. (The problem is finding a really good one, though.) I'll spare you the long version of my rant about conventional medicine... a lot of good-hearted people are trying really hard and learning a lot, and they're right - with the tools they limit themselves to, they frequently *can't* tell what the problem is. It'd just be nice if the medical establishment would stop demonizing every other approach, especially wielding the law as a weapon to enforce their (narrow-minded) opinions.

But you know your body, and what's normal; trust it and work with it! Even if you feel like an idiot or a hypochondriac... you KNOW when something's really wrong. And heck, not being able to breathe without effort is a pretty reliable sign. ;)

I've gotten used to being The Family Nutjob, or The Friendly Neighborhood Nutjob, or whatever, LOL, and I'm okay with it, because I'm healthy now, and I know (more or less) how to listen to my body.

I hope your poor throat is feeling better!

AJ said...

I'm sorry you were so sick. I hear you on doctors. I used to think they knew everything, too, and for the most part they did a good job for me. But in the last while I find I don't agree with them as much. I get tired of the "here, take this prescription. It will mask the symptoms." I got tired of allowing my doctors to ease me down the slippery slope to full blown heart disease. The naturopath is doing a much better job and I'm so much better off (although the journey is still too long). Hang in there. Love ya!