Sunday, February 27, 2011

Random Thoughts for Today

~ For a surgery that is not supposed to do anything to your vocal cords, my tonsillectomy sure did something to mine. It may have been the emergency surgery 5 days later that really did the trick but I haven't had quite the same voice since 2005. Will this mean when I die that no will recognize my voice because everyone has gotten used to this lower, not as on key voice that I now have? I have been thinking about this because when I get sick my voice drops about three registers. It is so weird. I have finally started to sing again, in a woman choir, but it is really hard and I enjoy it but wonder if I am contributing anything other than my good looks? ;)

~ They say 2 years old's should not be left alone for even 3 seconds. I am under the firm impression that no child should be left alone -EVER- especially when they have siblings within throwing distance. Church was good today even though I was tired and by myself with the kids. After church, more specifically, in the parking lot not 10 minutes after church was a DISASTER! Alex has a cut and a shiner, Hannah has a shiner on the other side and Nik ended up with a fat lip and he wasn't even in the fight! So Ridiculous!

~I need to teach my children the language of pray. I think this is one of the pieces that I have been missing in helping them understand the reverence of pray. To address our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ by thee and thou is to show a reverence that just hasn't been in our home for awhile. Maybe if they can learn how to speak to our Savior, then they just might learn how they should speak to each other.

~ I have been missing some things New England lately. Mostly the people, but sometimes those big old farm houses with a large screened back porch over looking the mountains. There was this one house that I would drive past all the time that was up for sale for years. I absolutely loved it. It was perfect and if I could have bought it I would have in a flash. When I went back to NH a couple of years ago, it had finally sold and someone was giving it wonderful loving care and it was coming back to life. I just wish that it could have been me.

~ Moving plays weird tricks on ones mind. There is this idea that we have when we walk into a place where we used to see friends all of the time, that if we walk into a similar place we should see them there too. I catch myself all of the time expecting to run into Erika, or Cindy, when I walk into Walmart. They should just be on the next isle or at the end of that corner waiting to say hi. It has been one of the hardest things about wrapping my mind around the moves that I have made. My friends won't be right around the next corner, that they live thousands of miles away and I miss them.


6 comments:

AJ said...

Sending lots of hugs. My voice drops when I'm sick, too. I think it's gotten lower over time anyway, but I enjoy trying to pick out the tenor part.

Jenn said...

silly kids, getting into fist fights!!

Hey...when E and I buy an old farm house in NH ( with pastures for my sheep of course!) you can come visit and pretend for a while! :)

Hope you get your voice back soon!

Krista said...

Oh, I love those old farmhouses, too... I think there's gotta be something in our collective memory about open spaces and cozy, blocky homes. :) Someday...

Nana S. said...

Don't you wish you could hang them by their toes sometime? I feel your frustrations. I found the conversations I had with the Lord (prayers)didn't need any special language but sure did save my sanity and their lives. He has always answered my simple call for "HELP" ! Love to all. Nana S.

Becky said...

We miss you too.xoxo

Michelle said...

I didn't think surgery would do that to your throat. Kids are always fighting, just like my kids, they are always fighting!
I know what you mean about moving it is so hard, there is good and bad about moving. I miss you! Know that there is lots of people who love and miss you!