Tuesday, November 9, 2010

New Yummyness * Recipes Galore

I have been trying to add to my collection of recipes. I get stuck in a rut and it get hard to think outside of the box sometimes. At least for me anyways. So looking for new recipes is always in the back of my mind. I also sit in a LOT of doctor waiting rooms. Between Alex and Sam I probably spend 2-3 hours per week waiting. The nice thing about it is that they have all the new magazines that I don't buy. So between the problem of dinner and the waiting room magazines, I have finally found some new recipes that have been tested and approved as "Good" for our dinner menu.

Tonight's dinner is Baked Ziti. This is a dish that I had in New York all the time and I loved! I have another recipe, but I don't like it quite as well. Here is the new recipe:

BAKED ZITI

Sauce:
2 Tbsp Oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1-28oz can whole tomatoes
1-15oz can tomato sauce
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp pepper
1-15oz basil-and-oregano diced tomates, drained
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped

Ziti and Cheese
1-16oz box ziti pasta (you can use any type that you like really)
8oz (1 cup) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Coat 9x13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Bring pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions.

3. For the sauce, heat oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion to pan and saute for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for additional minute. Stir in whole tomatoes and juice. Break apart the tomatoes with hands or wooden spoon. Then stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

 4. Remove pan from heat. Stir in diced tomatoes and basil.

5. Transfer cooked, drained pasta to a large bowl. Add half the sauce to the bowl and mix with ziti. Stir to coat. Pour ziti mixture into prepared pan. Top with remaining sauce and then sprinkle with cheeses.

6. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Cool 10 minutes.

ENJOY!


My next recipe was a HUGE hit! For anyone who has had cheesy or funeral potatoes it taste very similar, but with chicken and pasta. It is wicked easy!



Easy Cheesy Chicken Casserole

3-4 cooked chicken, chopped
16 oz egg noodles, cooked and drained
24 oz sour cream
2-10oz can cream of chicken soup
8oz (1 cup) shredded cheddar cheese
8oz (1cup) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 sleeve round buttery crackers, crushed (like Ritz or Toll House)
1/4 cup butter, melted


1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix well. Pour into a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish.

3. Mix crushed crackers and melted butter. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole. 

4. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Serves 8-10 people. 

ENJOY!!

I hope this helps with the dinner crunch. I know that my family has really loved these new recipes. I any of you have a great recipe, would you please share it on your blog. That way some of us more dinner challenged people i.e. ME, can have some help. :)



1 comment:

Debbie Murdock said...

Sweet...thank you thank you! And no you are not the only one that gets stuck in a rut. Call me crazy but I keep a calendar of what I have.