Sunday, September 12, 2010

Domesticated

Over the last few days I have been much more domesticated than I have been in quite awhile. Mom bought 10 boxes of peaches for canning.
Friday we were able to get 4 of the 10 done and will continue for the next few days getting them all done.
We used the grill to get our jars boiled for the canning process. It worked really well.
Here are some of the jars that we finished. We got 37 quarts out of the those four boxes. Not to bad for a good days work.
Then later on I made some pie. :) Mom's blackberries are doing great. These are fresh ones that we picked before we started the peaches. We got a gallon.
It is a Creamy Blackberry Pie from one of my favorite sites, Anne Bakes. If you click on the link you can get the recipe.
It came out way deli-sh! Especially if you want something sweet.
I think the next time that I make it I will make a lattice top with regular pie crust instead of the using the crumb topping. The filling was plenty sweet and I think it would be balanced better with the latticed top. Anyway as to everything else we are settling more everyday. The kids finished their first week of school. It went really well and none of them had any homework which was really nice. Won't last, but nice all the same.

5 comments:

Katrina said...

Yummy... I haven't made mine yet.. going to this week, it was too busy a weekend and I haven't felt good this weekend with this nasty cold.

Becky said...

That is HARD work...Great job! Your kids will thank you this winter. :)

Michelle said...

Oh how I love peaches in the bottle for the winter. The pie looks so good. Lots of work that will pay off in the winter enjoy! want to come and can and make pie at my house???

Heavenly said...

TEN boxes?!!!

I can barely can two boxes before I've seen enough peaches to last me a few months. LOL

Where did she get the peaches?

Tammy and Brian Family said...

Wow look at you!! That pie looks divine!!! Miss you guys too! I am glad you guys are enjoying life up there!