Friday, September 24, 2010

At Long Last

I am so, sO, SO, excited!!! If you look at the back of my house you may notice the addition of some plants. What are these spindly looking plants, you say?

LILACS!!!
That's right people, I finally have me some LILACS! I have waited so long to be able to have them in a home that I live in. I LOVE lilacs. They are my all time favorite flower. I love the smell, the foliage, the color. Basically everything. :) These ones are white and purple in color and we planted them in front of my kitchen window. Not only will I be able to see them and smell them, they will provide some shade to the back of the house and help with keeping it cooler. 
I was also able to get some other plants from mom that she needed thinned and moved. On this side I have started my patch of thorn-less raspberries. This will provide shade and yummieness as well.
 On the left side of the garage I have planted Lavender. Even though this is not my most favorite plant it gets big quick and have a pretty color. Mom has a few more volunteers that I am going to put in front of the siding.
I am almost done with my front garden too. I put day lilies in my pots and then added more iris and the rhododendron. The iris will bloom earlier in the spring than the lilies, rhododendron and rose. This should give me good color throughout.  
 Right along the edge I am going to get some tulip and daffodil bulbs put in. That is all I have left to do. It should be really pretty and I can't wait for spring to see it.  
 I did put just a few hollyhocks right by the garage. I will have to keep them in check but they will add a nice punch of color and height. :)
I thoroughly wore out Mom. Myself too, but I am willing to deal with the pain if it mean I get a bunch of big Lilacs. :D On another note, Nik is on his first scout camping trip here in North Idaho. He is headed to Harrison Lake and has an actual hiking backpack that is almost bigger than him. LOL He is going to do great and hopeful come back with all of his digits intact. Here's hoping.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Wow it looks great and you girls worked very hard. I am so happy for you that you got your Lilac finally.

Debbie Murdock said...

The house is looking great and plants SO make a difference. We had lilacs growing up in the back yard and I loved the fragrance of them. I think my Mom wanted to kill us sometimes because we'd always pick them and give them to her.

Shannon Lytle said...

How fun for you to be able to plant to your heart's content now! I'm sure your yard will be gorgeous in the spring! I can't wait to plant millions of flowers and raspberries whenever we get a yard!