Friday, August 27, 2010

Finger Lickin'

It is safe to say that food is probably an obsession with me. I love the way it looks, smells and tastes. Basically everything, except the part where I have to come up with dinner every night. In an effort to be creative and actually do my wifely duty better than cold cereal every night, I watch a LOT of cooking shows. Most of my shows are on PBS at the moment (as we don't have cable). Mexico One Plate at a Time, Simply Ming, Everyday Foods, Cooks Country, all favorites.

But my all time favorite cooking show has to be Everyday Baking from Everyday Food with John Barricelli. I not only love the recipes but I adore John! Many cooks out there will prepare their dishes with care, but they seem to leave half their batter in the BOWL! They can't seem to use a plastic spatula to save their life.

But not John! He scrapes the stuffing right out of every bowl. I don't know if it is my frugal heart or how I grew up, but you always scrape the bowl. So many TV cooks leave batter in the bowl with no scrapping and it drives me batty. (I know this is not to far of a trip, but still). SCRAPE THE BOWL ALREADY!!!

So in a tribute to John, here is one of my favorite recipes from his show. It is simple and delicious. Not only that but it incorporates our newest fruit in season ... PEACHES! (Which I have totally been craving lately).

PEACH COBBLER

Serves 4
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes

For the Filling:

1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (depending on sweetness of fruit)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 pounds peaches, halved, pitted, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, and cut
again in half crosswise (about 4 cups)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

For the Topping:

1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk


1. Make the filling: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Add peaches and lemon juice; toss to combine. Divide filling evenly among four 8-ounce custard cups (or one 2-quart baking dish); transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.


2. Make the topping and bake: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, blend in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk; stir just until a dough forms. Drop dough onto peaches, using about 1/3 cup dough for each custard cup. Sprinkle dough with remaining teaspoon sugar. Bake until fruit is bubbling and biscuit topping is golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes; serve warm.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Debbie Murdock said...

Ooooo I'm so excited. I love new recipes. Looks divine. I'm excited to use my fresh peaches from my bountiful basket.