Monday, April 20, 2009

What Cuties

This is Jesse (the one in the red) and Ryan (the yellow, oviously) :P

This is his cute half smile. You can see the mischief in the eyes. :D Jesse is 4 now and Ryan turns 3 on the 28th. This pic is almost a year old. But they are all I have.


When Marc and I got married 12 years ago we loved almost everything about each other. There were a few exceptions, the big one was how I said the word aunt. Being a westerner and all I pronounced the word "ant", Ant Laura, Ant Denise and Marc being from the east coast pronounced the word "ahunt". It drove him batty that I would call a person an insect. Ant instead of Ahunt. Anyways I love him so I made a conscious effort to call any person that was an Aunt, the "right way". So for many, many years now I have call Jan, Delanie, and now myself as "ahunt". I did not realise how ingrained it has now become until I was talking with my sister today and she shared a cute tidbit about her boys. Jesse and Ryan are my only nephews on my side of the family right now. Jan doesn't have kids yet and Wayne isn't married. So its just them. Well Delanie has been listening to the boys talk on their little play phones. They call Aunt Jan and Aunt Stacie all the time and she thought that it sounded strange, but thought that it was because they were saying Stacie and Jan, but then she realised what was different. When ever Jesse or Ryan refer to Jan it is always "Ant Jan" and when they are talking about me it is always "Ahunt Stacie". They know that that is who were are. :) It was just too cute. They don't even pause to think about it and even in the same sentence we are ant and ahunt. lol I just want to share. They are kooky, energetic, whirlwinds that drive my sister batty most of the time, but they are so sweet too that I had to record for posterity how my husbands idiosyncrasy has now been passed on to the next generation. :D

6 comments:

Three Catanzaros said...

well I am glad the boys are learning proper English:P lol.

kannie said...

LOL!!! Yeah, I grew up all over the place, and it was "ant" or "anty" - Hubby says "ont," and I really don't care, LOL. If someone has a preference for their own reference, we try to respect that, but I haven't seen anyone have a coronary yet about it, thank goodness, LOL...

AJ said...

Yeah, it is fun to see how they addapt it...lol. Reminds me of my cousins who were raised in a bilingual house. "I want queso" really stumped my grandma. And cookies were cook-itas.

Cindi said...

"Aunt" and "Ant" was quite a debate with one of my son-in-laws...I looked it up, and discovered that long ago, it was considered proper to pronounce the "au" sound...educated people pronounced it that way. Now it is regional thing, (I grew up saying "bahth-room" also---New England), and both are just fine. Seems the westerners don't mind us Easterners saying "AUNT", but we here on the East coast don't love the "Ant" so much. Both are fine, and I love how your little guys have it all figured out without realizing it!

Katrina said...

How cute... and yes I had to do the change up thing too, when I got visit Bruce's side of the family it is ant, and when I go home to Maine it is aunt.... you go little boys...

Your Eternal Companion said...

You Guys are AWESOME. I love it. I am happy I could help

Love

Marcus